Rookie and Pro
To ensure everyone gets the most out of the NAB AFL Auskick program, participants are split into two groups: ‘Rookie’ and ‘Pro’:
ROOKIE: 5 – 8 years
PRO: 9 – 12 years
|The NAB AFL Auskick Rookie program is where it all starts. Children from ages five to eight learn the fundamental skills required to participate in Australian football.||The NAB AFL Auskick Pro program encourages children to build on the skills they’ve learned throughout the Rookie program.|
|Rookie sessions usually consist of a warm up, followed by skill activities designed to improve and familiarise participants with the necessary skills of the game.||Simulated match activities and drills offer children a more advanced and challenging environment to test their drop punts, handpasses and marks.|
|Weekly sessions end in a modified game where children can hone their skills in a safe, controlled environment.||Modified match practice is a feature of the NAB AFL Auskick Pro sessions and is important in preparing children for the progression to the next step in the AFL pathway: AFL Junior.|
Download lesson plans for a sequence of activities, including warm ups, skill activities, games and recommended AFL Auskick Rules matches (such as nine-a-side).
- Lesson Plans – 5 to 6 years old
- Lesson Plans – 7 to 8 years old
- Lesson Plans – 9 to 10 years old
- Lesson Plans – 11 to 12 years old
When using assistants or helper coaches it is worthwhile printing the materials required for each to use.
- Compendium of Games: Download a wide variety of other warm-up activities, skill activities and games.
- Auskick Rules: Learn how Auskick is designed to encourage young kids.
- Coaching Children: Get tips and strategies on coaching kids, dealing with parents, being a good coach and more.