Parent orientation courses
If you enjoy your involvement and would like to gain further skills, orientation courses are available to all parents free of charge. These courses are held throughout the year and take about two hours.
- Are conducted through practical, "hands-on" involvement of participants under the guidance of trained personnel
- Are designed for parents/helpers who, regardless of their football background, would like to assist in running activities
- Outline the conduct of a 'typical' NAB AFL Auskick session and how it fits into a season-long program
- Introduce appropriate warm-up activities
- Demonstrate the skills of Australian Football
- Through practical involvement, demonstrate how to teach the skills to children
- Demonstrate a variety of skill games and activities
- Introduce the principles of conducting and umpiring modified football games
AFL Auskick Level 1 coaching course for coaching children aged 5-12
All states and territories have a mandatory accreditation policy.
Coaches wishing to become an AFL Auskick coaching coordinator or coach of a junior club team must complete an approved AFL coaching accreditation course.
The Level 1 AFL Auskick coaching course is conducted over 14 hours and is designed for parents/helpers who want to assume a coaching role, organise activities, teach the skills of the game, conduct modified games or assist in other ways.
It has a specific orientation towards issues surrounding the participation and practices appropriate to the development and enjoyment of players in this age range.
- The role of the coach
- Planning and organisation of the training session
- Teaching the basic skills of Australian Football
- Skill games and modified games forming a basic team plan
- Growth and development
- Safety issues/risk management issues
- Candidates will be assessed practically either in course time or 'on the job', or both
- Excellent AFL coaching manuals and further presenters' notes are provided as part of the course
- Coaches are required to agree to the AFL coaches' code of conduct as part of gaining their accreditation
- As accredited coaches, successful candidates receive an AFL Level 1 (AFL Auskick) coaching certificate and are entered onto the national database
If you are interested in obtaining more information on the above courses please contact your state AFL Auskick manager.